Wednesday, October 16, 2013

New beginnings

It has been so long since I have posted it is hard to know where to start. The past year has flown by and I have been constantly on the go. 

I let a lot of things slip, even though my adventures continued. I did not blog, mainly because i felt guilty for not keeping up with reading other blogs and posting comments. It all became a little overwhelming. I also didn't seem to find time for my photography. I gave up going to my camera club. I let so many things that I enjoy slip away.

 On the positive side I visited Strawczyn in Poland, did a teacher exchange to Hacilar, Kayseri,  had a girlie weekend in Cappadocia, something i had never done before, and most importantly I  reached the age of 55. 

With 35 years service as a primary school teacher ( in the same small village school ) I qualified for early retirement. I had been planning  for this from the day I realised I could not be a stay-at-home Mum. 

I spent my summer in Turkey, and  four of the six other members of my book club came and stayed for a week, another girlie occasion.......I've even begun to paint my nails!! Did I mention I was an only girl with five brothers? They did their best to corrupt me and had me drinking cocktails. They tasted just like fruit juice. Mmmmmm. But one a night was my limit. Did we read books? Ehhhhh......not so many, but we went on a boat trip, watched the ballet in an outdoor amphitheatre and of course we shopped.




  A Turkish friend, his wife and little daughter stayed with me for a week. I was constantly mistaken for the grandmother. Ah well, I am a pensioner now! Good practise for the future.


After a short visit home, I am now back in Turkey for the month of October. I am here with my 87 year old Mum and we are enjoying some uninterrupted mother daughter time.

So why did I put pen to paper ( figure of speech, but it sounds better than finger to keyboard) and return to my blog this evening?

Well, I've retired, the new camera is bought, the knitting needles are clicking, 18 kilos have been shed and today my application to volunteer for a month, next February, in a school in Beruwala, Sri Lanka, has just been accepted. 



Cilgin Kiz is back, a new chapter is beginning and I'm going to blog again, for the reasons I first began blogging, to record my adventures for myself and my family. Anyone who wishes to drop in and see what i'm up to is welcome.



Did I mention I'm thinking of coming home through Nepal?

2 comments:

Thank you for stopping by. Please leave a comment and tell me what you think.